I was going to write something big and profound about the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, but I just don’t have the heart to (plus, the danged OS isn’t even out yet). So, here are just some general thoughts on the current release:
- It IS going to be confusing for people.
- Metro has a lot to like.
- I like that Microsoft is pushing forward here.
- Why not just give the Metro portion it’s own, new name and make a clean break?
- At least at the start, people will still expect Windows to be Windows and it is not.
- We still haven’t seen any hardware.
After using Windows 8 even a little bit I think the major issue will be one of perception. This is Windows 8, not Microsoft Metro (or something else). It has been beaten to death, but perhaps a clean break in the OS naming would have done Microsoft more good because expectation would/could be reset by consumers to expect something new.
We’ll see how it all pans out, but that’s all I’ve got.